Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Derbies and Grievances

The merseyside derby was won by Everton who shocked Liverpool but they are now 2nd in the table so didn't shock everyone. I must admit they are totally overachieving and will struggle to maintain the great run they are having. Then I was pleased to see Birmingham beat Aston Villa - another deserved victory. It's the big one on Sunday. Huddersfield are the favourites but in such a tight division anything could happen. I am a little worried as Bradford have beaten all Yorkshire opponents so far this season.

Arsenal played Chelsea in a top of the table clash which ended 2-2 but Arsenal scored from a quick free kick which I was quite unhappy about as it is a very unsporting rule of the game. It should be clearly stated whether the whistle needs to be blown or not before a kick is taken and in what circumstances and as it stands is still a grey area. With Manchester United and Liverpool slipping up again, the title looks like a two horse race.

There were reports of racial abuse at Halifax's game at home to Canvey Island on Saturday. While it may be hurtful to black players, they should consider how it used to be and I feel too much of a fuss can be made about these things. It was fair enough at the England game as there was a large section of the Spanish crowd doing it. I also agree Ron Atkinson was wrong but now feel he has served his time and should be allowed back into the media spotlight for a last chance. But when it comes to one or two out of thousands, while I realise it is still wrong, it is not a football matter and no club should be punished in situations where 99.99% of the fans are behaving.

A 3rd and final bugbear for the night was The X Factor result. Not just because I had a bet on G4 from the start, or because I wanted them to win but because Steve was consistently fluffing parts of his songs. Was it fixed? I don't think so. Why did he win? I don't know but from the people I have spoken to they seemed to support him. His version of Against All Odds on Saturday was excellent until he missed a line out by getting half a beat behind. This sort of amateur should not be getting a £1 million record deal. While I do feel Sharon Osbourne was very harsh on him, she may be right. I gues only those on the inside know him. Sharon's attack proably won him the sympathy vote which cost G4 victory. However I am sure they will go on to bigger and better things. Anyone remember Michelle McManus?

Controversial?!

2 Comments:

At Sun Dec 19, 01:18:00 am 2004, Blogger Dozy Rosie said...

So if it's not as bad as it used to be it's ok?!

 
At Sun Dec 19, 07:37:00 pm 2004, Blogger Toph said...

I was careful when writing this not to condone actions of racist fans as is stated "while I realise it is still wrong". I merely stating it is nowhere near as bad as it used to be and hopefully soon, in this country at least, the topic won't even be a discussion point, like it wasn't until the Spain fans started doing it which has kicked off a chain reaction among 0.001% of english fans. Surely the less said about the minority of fans abusing players the better, as the taunts are more likely to continue, the more press coverage there is about them. So no it doesn't make it ok - but I never said that it did anyway :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home